Sunday, August 10, 2008

A Strange Dream

I had a dream last night that I was a very successful business-man who made a lot of money on investments and trading. I was also, for some reason, and African American named Dwayne Wade.

I was approached by an old friend who had now become the principal at my old high school (my actual high school) about investing a small fraction of the schools funds. Somehow I was able to convince the county to invest a good portion of their funds, and the funds of any of the teachers, and principals who wanted it, in my new hedge fund for public schools.

I was very proud. This county was not going to have budget problems in short order. But then I got real nervous. What if state workers, being the non-investors they typically were, started demanding that I invest things in a certain way, or start pulling their money out in a panic. I would not be able to time trades at all.

So I made a deal. I would end the hedge fund if anyone pulled out their money within a year, or if anyone demanded that their funds be invested or not invested in certain ways ever. It was to be part of the contract. Somehow people agreed.

Later, there were old teachers who would come in wanting to invest, and would say things like, "don't invest my whole income just a small portion" (apparently the state had decided to automatically put part of their income into my fund). I informed them that they would have to talk to the state or county people to deal with that. I felt sorry for that. Since they likely wanted all their concerns addressed by a single person.

That's when I woke up. I don't know how I would have handled the situation. I would probably have made sure next time that a representative from the automatic withdrawal program is at the customer relations office when taking investment requests.

No comments: