Monday, July 14, 2008

I wonder if there are any job prospects for the lazy and/or burnt-out.

I don't know hoe I get this low. Lack of sleep yesterday maybe?

I have been having trouble sleeping again. Allergies keep me up. Plus, I'm one of those "long-day"ers.

I'm thinking about what I would do if money, responsibilities, familial concerns were not issues.

I think it's pretty clear that I would go into the renewable energy field. School is not my favorite activity, and I just barely got out of an M.S. with my sanity.

However, a full-time Ph.D. program in Physics, Chemistry or Electrical Engineering, with a focus on renewable energy technologies is the most attractive thing on my mind.

I hate getting up in the morning, and I hate coming in even more. I offered some of my least creative/most conservative suggestions to my technical lead last week (who is very smart, and whom I respect very much) and I was pointed out as thinking "out-of-the-box." This was scary. In my old group, this would have just been taken as a normal good idea.

Big group politics, I guess. All the people can be good, hard-working, knowledgeable people, but the structure itself is so overloaded with red-tape, that making even simple changes that make sense are "out-of-the-box." Sheesh.

Time for me to get out, I think. Either find a more innovative group, or a more innovative company. But moving to a new field, which is just poised to grow, seems like the best idea.

I don't feel like I have the energy to do these projects "on the side." My day job is demanding enough.

I'll keep chewing on it. Being Asian makes the whole family pressure thing very strange.

No comments: